Thursday, July 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle


I wrote a very positive (giddy even?) post the other day about how much I was starting to like life in New York. My computer ate it. How ironic that what was probably the most glowing account I will ever offer about life in the Big Apple was swallowed into cyber space, never to be seen or heard from again.


So what did I have to say in this oh so cheerful post? Buy a bike if you don't already have one. Why is biking glorious, you might ask? One trip to the New York subway should make the answer to this question painfully obvious. Suddenly, all of Manhattan is not only accessible, but, dare I say...beautiful? Well at least the view of the Hudson from the GWB and all down Riverside Park is very pleasing indeed.


Not to mention that all your interactions with New Yorkers are reduced to 5 second drivebys, sometimes even accompanied with a smile (or an "idiot" as I received from a pretty portly jogger this morning, as the case may be).


Using a bike, you save on carbon emissions, get in your morning workout, and might even get to spend some QT with your significant other. My point is, biking gives New York the equivalent of glazing on a donut- you can eat it without, but for for the added sweet deliciousness at no added cost, why ever would you?


For further green fun, I highly recommend a trip to Habana Outpost in Fort Greene. All of their power is solar generated, and they water their plants with rain water that apparently they gather themselves. But the real selling point of this place is their chill bbq ambience that makes it feel like you're drinking margaritas in your neighbor's backyard. Which is exactly what you're doing, except all of Brooklyn is invited. Last, but not least, if you're lucky occasionally hot celebrities bike by for a burger (no names mentioned, this isn't gawker.)


So get on your bikes and ride!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES! BIKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!